I started a new job this Tuesday so I’m really tired right now and almost forgot about TBT. But we’ll continue with a watercolour painting.
My Sherlock obsession started in 2011, when I painted this picture. It’s not my best work, but I like the shadowing in the face. I could have worked more on the clothes and the hair than I did, but I still feel it turned out rather well.
March 12th 2011.
Those of you who like the facebook page (and if you don’t already, please do) might have noticed this image.
For my art class we did two self-portraits, one in pencil and one in ink, where we were supposed to practise hatching and crosshatching.
I got the comment that it looks like I have fur in this picture. Close-up, it sure does, but if you take a couple of steps back it stops looking like fur and looks rather interesting instead.
Time to show off another of the images from my header, and this is the portrait that I call Twenties Girl.
I got inspired by this photograph of Louise Brooks and used it as a model for shadowing and pose, but didn’t attempt to really draw her. There’s something about the fashion of the period that’s really striking.
I like the colour choices that I’ve made in this picture. Blue and yellow works nicely together, and while the splotchiness of the yellow is due to it running out of colour it looks intentional. Like a wallpaper.
February 15th 2015.
If you’re looking for any logic to how I choose which drawings to show you, there won’t be any. I’ll just pick some random old picture which I like.
I did the sketch for this back in, maybe, 2009. It then sat forgotten as a couple of lines in a sketchpad until last year, when I dredged it up and decided to finish it. For some reason I decided against cleaning up the sketch, even though the hands are a mess. I hadn’t done any work in charcoal for a while, but I’m still rather happy with how this turned out. It’s recogniseable as Snape.
I used to do a lot of water colour paintings, and it’s one of those things that I really miss. Last year I tried to do a landscape painting, but it turned out so horrible that I threw down the brush and haven’t dared to turn back.
2012 was one of those years where I did a lot of water colour paintings that turned out really good.
This is one of my favourites from that year. It’s based on a picture of Benedict Cumberbatch (I’m a huge fan) and I love how I used the colours and the shadowing. The colour palette is really nice.
I want to return to this medium, but I’m sure there’ll be a few growing pains. Maybe I should just get started and try not to care when the result turns out piss poor.
April 2nd 2012.
Don’t get used to getting two posts a day, but in the beginning I feel the need to get some content out here. And while we are on the subject of clay, I think I can show off this poor guy that I haven’t been taking properly care of since I made him.
I call him “poor guy” because he’s no longer stuck to the backboard, as he broke free of the glue several years ago and I still haven’t fixed it.
I mentioned in my intro post how my school had this art profile, which meant I got to do a lot of artsy stuff in school. We could have different combinations like metalwork, but I did fine art. Still we had to do crossovers and work with different materials than we’d signed up for. So one assignment was to create a face of clay and then mount it on a wooden fram we built.
I’ll never forget how my teacher asked me, before I painted it, if I intended to make an “African mask.” My intention all along was to make a sculpture of Severus Snape, who is one of my all time favourite characters. Unfortunately I was ill during the time we dyed the hair, so he ended up blond. Hence, a failed Snape.
The best plans of mice and men, you know…
Done somewhere during the school year of 2006 and 2007.
For my first TBB-post, I thought I’d show of some work in a medium I hardly ever work with: clay. This was an assignment I did for my art class back in upper secondary. While I didn’t fall in love with the exercise, I thought it was a great deal of fun to try out something a bit different.
We had to partner up for the assignment, sit opposite one another and try to make portraits of each other. I partnered with my best friend at the time, but I don’t think it turned out to look much like her at all. Still, there’s something about the expression that reminds me of her…
We were told to make them intentionally rough and not smooth them out. Our teacher encouraged us to keep the places where we added new clay visible.
I can’t see myself doing it very often, but I must say that looking at these pictures make me almost want to buy some clay and get to work. But I don’t think I have the patience for it, really.